Digital marketing refers to communications through digital channels such as websites, social media, blogs, email, videos, mobile apps and search engines. It can be a cost-effective and timely way to communicate with your target customers and is considered an integral part of an overall marketing strategy.
Digital marketing is expected to continue growing in the future. Consider these finding from the report, “Digital Marketing Strategies to Get Ahead in the High-Tech Industry,” by research company Ovum:
- Over the next five years, an increasing proportion of sales will come through digital channels; by 2020, one-third of companies will source more than 61% of all their sales via digital channels.
- Twenty-three percent of those surveyed said the use of data to inform marketing planning and decision-making is one of the top three most important digital capabilities for their companies, while two-thirds listed it as their single most important digital tool.
- High-tech companies are using digital to improve the quality of customer experience, with 91% of companies surveyed adopting it.
“One of the first things to consider in developing a digital media strategy is to know your customers and the problems they are trying to solve,” said Christie Hickman, manager of business development at AspenCore. “You need to understand what drives your customer and how they are getting their information. If you know your customer’s purchasing path, you can design your marketing to be with them all along the way.”
Digital Strategies and Benefits
With digital marketing, you can cast a wide net without spending a lot of money. Instead of spending time cold-calling to find prospects, you can use a variety of targeted strategies such as social media, webcast, videos, and email tactics that are more time- and cost-effective. Your message can be point-on if you have done your research and know your audience.
A big benefit of digital marketing is the ability to track results. You can follow your audience to see what types of information they value, how much time they spend looking at your content, and what incentives they act upon. In the process, you can develop a digital footprint of your customer that will guide you to communicate effectively.
5 Tips for Digital Marketers
- Hickman offers up the following five tips for developing a digital marketing strategy:
Don’t be afraid of digital marketing. There is an abundance of information available online to help you understand how to use digital marketing. Be sure to keep abreast of new trends.
- Know and understand your audience. Having empathy for your customers is key, so that you can create integrated campaigns.
- Keep your content fresh and new. Content should be relevant to your reader and educational, so you are viewed as a valuable source of information.
- Make it easy for people to get information quickly with the least amount of effort. Keep this in mind as you develop your digital communications.
- Know the products and services you are trying to market. Become a subject matter expert to ensure that you completely understand all features and benefits.
Developing Your Marketing Plan
Digital marketing is just one aspect of an overall comprehensive marketing plan – but it should be a major component. Arrow can help you develop marketing plans that incorporate not only digital marketing, but also our wide range of other strategic and tactical marketing services – all of which can help you grow your business. To learn more about Arrow’s marketing services, contact your Arrow representative.